The Monastery of the Annunciation

The monastery is located in the southwestern part of the island behind Hora and inhabited by nuns. The monastery was originally a small chapel hermitage until 1613, when an abbot of the monastery of St. John, Nikiforos, renovated the building and dedicated it to Luke the Evangelist. In 1937 new buildings were added by the monk Amfilohios Makris, who actually founded the Monastery of the Annunciation. The monastery is home to more than 40 nuns who, apart from prayer, are also engaged in social work, gardening, beekeeping and Byzantine embroidery - with a technique called «spitha».

Reservations